Monday, March 29, 2010

How to Find a job in a Sketch Economy!

Hello friends, I hope that spring finds all of you well and ready for some warmer weather. As a soon to be college graduate, I have encountered many of my fellow classmates who are very nervous about finding employment. I have had some recent success and I'd love to share what is working for me currently.




1.) Remember that at times like these credentials will not be everything preached in a Career Internship Class

(I have found that clinging on to the achievements in college are great as a supplement to interviewing. However, the main thing I have found employers wanting to look for is the idea that you can "sell" your college learned skills to them. Right now, good credentials are only "going to get you in line for the interview" and not necessarily get you a job. That's just the sad fact.



2.) Get an internship even if you are not paid well or at all.

(Currently, since college is winding down and my GPA is at a good place I have decided to get an internship with an office in Indiana state government. I'm currently not getting paid for working here, however, interestingly enough I have had more time to network myself and get the word out now more so than ever before. Getting good experience counts, most of our interviewers are going to ask us the question about "experience" if you can find some knowledge and look at an internship from that perspective it says loads about your character and work ethic.)



3.) Ask for reccomendations.

(This has been one of the hardest things for me to do recently. As a very independent person I absolutely hate asking people for leads. However, turn that idea on a flipside. To beat this one, ask yourself "Do you like being asked for your expertise?" "Do you like the feeling of helping someone out?" Eventually, it becomes evident. Just letting someone know of the job struggle for post-undergraduate students "turned professionals" in our economy may just open the door. Sometimes, its about who you know and your relationship with people than the simulation you did for a project last semester.)



4.) Ask how you can help out other people, and sometimes push your way in.

(If you find yourself in a situation where you can help someone out, be the first to lend a hand. Sometimes its not all about what you are going to get out of a situation monetarily, but you may just get involved with someone who might be able to help you down the road. If you are asked to speak at a conference like I was a few weeks ago, or you see an event on campus that may be valuable to an office you work at, by all means bring it up and stick your nose in that business. Doing these things shows that you can make a connection with what you are doing on the inside of the office walls with the college experience)



5.) Don't trust people who say the way to a job is "career builder."

(Its not that I'm skeptical of online job sites, its that I haven't had a successful person tell me that is how the found a job. Use online searching sparily, and make sure that you call a company who posts a job. If you can even meet with someone before hand that is a big attribute to showcasing your comfort with meeting new people and finding opportunity. (isn't this what marketing is?). Regardless, use internet sites sparingly, and always try and talk to a live person. Trust me it works!



I hope some of these things have helped all of you out. I've had now 3 interviews and have been offered one position. As professionals in the making it is important to try and always be new and fresh, but being honest is something that goes a long way. Make sure you are always professional in your contact with organizations looking to hire. Also, be yourself and don't settle for a position that is not a good fit. Remember, take some time to enjoy your last weeks of college as well. Its important to not stress about this phase in your life.



Till next update this is Brad peacing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment